Squacco Heron - Dunge

Squacco's don't seem to come up that much, so when this bird, which was relatively local at Dunge arrived, it was something i wanted to see.

After work last night i was on route mid rush hour and the traffic was Ok, i arrived just gone 6pm and parked up along by Sprinfield Bridge. I slowly made my way round the path ways but no sign. Eventually arriving at the viewing mound. I stayed here for a while hoping i may catch the bird in flight but still nothing.

Back to Denge Marsh Hide, viewing from the hide was right into the sun and useless. Slowly again making my way around i picked up a couple of Hobbies, Marsh Harrier, numerous Tern's. Warblers in the form of Sedge, Reed, Whitethroat and Blackcap could be seen in close proximity.

A family of Bearded Tit rushed about the reeds within feet of me but always buried and no camera action to be had.

I was still looking for the heron and it was looking like a dip; I made a decision to slowly head back to the car. Finally in the SW corner of Denge Marsh right out in the open on the far side stood one Squacco Heron. It fed, preened and stood motionless for about 15 minutes, great scope views to be had although always distant.



Eventually it took flight and headed towards the center buildings and out of view.







Comments